Wills Variation

Posted on: June 22, 2012

two people talkingWILLS VARIATION (B.C.)

An application to vary your will can be made by a child or spouse of a deceased. This is an application to seek redistribution of the testator’s estate if it can be established that adequate provision has not been made for the proper maintenance and support of the claimant. 

A child or spouse has six months from the date of probate to bring such an application and the executor must not distribute any portion of the estate to beneficiaries under the will until this time period has passed unless the executor has the consent of all persons who would be entitled to apply or is authorized by court order.



Posted on: June 22, 2012


Probate is a court process by which the Supreme Court of British Columbia determines whether it has jurisdiction to deal with your assets and which law will apply. The court will assume jurisdiction if you had assets domiciled in BC as of the date of your death.

There are certain documents that are required to be filed as part of the probate application and generally the approval process may take several weeks.

The cost of probate includes a base fee of $200 in addition to fees payable based upon the value of your estate ($6 for each $1000 or part thereof of your estate value between 25,000 and $50,000 plus $14 for each thousand dollars or part thereof in excess of $50,000). (more…)

Power of Attorney – Attorney Duties

Posted on: June 22, 2012


Who may act as attorney

You may name one or more of the following persons as an attorney:

  • an individual, other than an individual who
  • provides personal care or health care services to the adult for compensation, or
  • is an employee of a facility in which the adult resides and through which the adult receives personal care or health care services;
  • the Public Guardian and Trustee;
  • a financial institution authorized to carry on trust business under the Financial Institutions Act.
  • However, your spouse or near relative who receives compensation for providing you personal care or health care services may be named as your attorney.

    If you name someone under the age of 19 as your attorney, the individual must not act as attorney until that individual is an adult.


    Intestacy – Dying without a Will

    Posted on: June 22, 2012

    Hand with PenINTESTACY – Do I Really Need A Will?

    The simple answer is YES! Your will gives you some control over what will happen to the things that you own upon your death. You can make sure that the things that you own will go to the people you want to have them.

    Your will is a legal document that leaves instructions about what you want done with everything you own at your death. Everything that you own at your death is called your estate. 

    If you die without a will, there is legislation that sets out who will get your estate. You will have died intestate. If you die with a will that does not fully dispose of your estate, you have died partially intestate. The law that governs what happens to your estate on intestacy is called the Estate Administration Act (BC). (**Separate rules apply for First Nation persons under the Indian Act).